Monday, March 31, 2014

Old money, new money, what does it matter; they both have more money than me! When I think of old money, I think of old Victorian houses with a maid and butler service, large in-home libraries, and fancy people who have afternoon tea and crumpets. As for new money, I think of naïve youngsters who've just hacked into their inheritances and proceed to buy their hearts' desires. Why can't they coexist? With the way the East Eggers shame the West, I'd believe my own imagination about the West. In truth, the West Eggers are actually very ambitious people trying to work to obtain the status they rightfully deserve. Everyone had to have started from somewhere. The money in the name of the East Eggers didn't just start from nowhere; it started off like much of the West Egg fortunes. I believe that as soon as they obtain their money, then they should automatically become an East Egger. However, I think a deeper meaning lies in the difference steen the two.

There seems to be a certain air that the old money people carry that the new money people don't. A sort of sophistication, elegance, and poise. The new money appear to be more ravishing, jumping at every opportunity to feel wealthy; unlike the old money, who feel it naturally. Buying an expensive piece of art to a new money person may feel like buying a DaVinci piece, while an old money person buying it may feel like they're buying a small decoration for the bathroom. So, it seems to be that the difference between old and new money is their attitude toward their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment