Monday, October 21, 2013

What is an American?

I believe that an American is just someone who decides that they want to live under our laws, virtues, and cultures. There are many people who move to America because we are the "land of the free". Also, America is called the "land of opportunities". When people immigrate to the United States, they are usually presented with more jobs and opportunities than their homeland or previous home. Not a lot of countries have the same leniency as us, so that's what makes us more appealing sometimes. Living in America means that you are willing to coexist with many other cultures and diversities. We are all equal under the constitution and that's what makes us America.

4 comments:

  1. People live in other countries in America besides the United States but under your definition they are not American because they are not under the constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the bit about anyone who wants to identify with our general ideals and culture, though I think law might be a bit inaccurate. For example, I'm sure there's plenty of people whose families have been here for generations, though they might not necessarily agree with the way the country is being run at the moment, certain amendments/laws, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Short and Sweet, I like it! I agree with a lot of your definition but I feel that you may not have considered, for example, Canadians are American but don't live under our constitution, and that doesn't stop them from being American (Canada is apart of the Americas). You brought up good points and I especially like the idea about the land of the free (I included that idea a bit in my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You post was really interesting to read, but I disagree with you on some of your points. When I read your definition of an American, a person in Canada who follows laws that Americans do would be considered an American, even if they have never been to America. And I also disagree with your definition of living in America, because you don't need to have different cultures to live in America. But overall, I liked reading your post, good job!

    ReplyDelete